Thursday, August 7, 2014

Song of the Week: Chasing the Sun

Chasing the Sun, by Sara Bareilles

What the song's about: Trying. Living.

Why I picked it: Sometimes I feel like I'm just living life, but not truly living it. If you were to walk by my gravestone, you might see a nice, short eulogy, but nobody is going to be clamoring to write a biography of my life; it's not interesting enough. Life is just so ordinary sometimes it's hard to remember that it's also precious—every boring bit of it.

This song is a great reminder to not just live between the living and the dead, but to be continually living for something.

Best line: "You said remember that life is not meant to be wasted. So fill up your lungs and just run. But always be chasing the sun." You won't always know what you're living for, but the important thing is to live to the fullest anyway. Live your life so, as Paris Geller so eloquently states, "You'll be able to read an in-depth biography about yourself in later years and not puke."

Mood trigger: When I'm irritable, a lot of inspiring-type songs don't affect me because I am in no mood to be preached to. Even Josh Groban's "Don't Give Up" aria doesn't affect me. This song, though, inspires me to do better even when I just want to wallow. Maybe it's because I can relate to the dead-living feeling. Maybe it's because the message is that you just have to try, which isn't nearly as intimidating as succeeding. Whatever it is, this song makes me want to do a little better at life.

Random observation: Every time Sara says "Queens," I think of how happy all my choir teachers would be with her explosive q.

No comments:

Post a Comment