Sunday, November 25, 2012

Gratefuls: Nov 21–25

Nov 21: I'm an optimist. And sometimes, I'm an unrealistic optimist. Today, this little bubble of protection I've been living in for the past few months shattered. So I'll admit, I wasn't able to come up with anything I am truly grateful for until the day was almost over.

Most people don't like their bosses. Many people spend their working hours working for a tyrant and then go home and complain about what their boss did to tick them off that day. If they found out their boss was leaving, they would shout "Hallelujah!" and throw a party. But when my boss told me today that he was no longer an employee of the company, the last thing I wanted to do was shout for joy. As the day wore on, I had that awful feeling you get after someone just dies. You may be able to distract yourself enough to forget about your troubles for a short period of time, but eventually you notice that hole in your chest and wonder why it's there. And then you remember.

I'm not necessarily grateful for the pain, but it's only the lucky ones who are devastated when their boss is no longer their boss. I've been extremely fortunate these past two years.

Nov 22: Hot apple pie with vanilla ice cream. Mmmmmmmm.

Nov 23: The Cartettes still got it.

Nov 24: Books that have more entertainment value than literary value. Book snobs frown upon these books, but it is so wonderful to read something that makes it so effortless to immerse yourself into and escape from reality for a little while.

Nov 25: The houses that I can always count on to have Christmas lights up right after Thanksgiving. It's comforting to have the same expectations about certain things year after year, and to see those expectations fulfilled year after year. The world can crumble all around us, but that doesn't stop people from decorating for Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment