Thursday, December 1, 2011

Better late than never?

I never got around to writing a Thanksgiving post because I was too busy making the most of my four days off, doing everything I could to drain my brain of any usage. And I was reluctant to do an "I'm thankful for . . ." post anyway because being grateful is a daily thing for me, not a once-a-year thing.

However, there are a few things I am grateful for this holiday season that I thought I'd share with the class. Both have to do with having what others lack. I don't mean that in a boastful way, but rather a more humble way. (Though it's not completely humble, I guess, because I just used the word "humble" in a sentence about, um, myself.)

First, I am grateful to have a job, a job that I enjoy and that's full of awesome people. I am also grateful that the rest of my family is employed. This recession has hit a lot of families hard, but thankfully, my family has been spared this time.

And second, I'm grateful that I get to spend the holidays with the people I love the most. Not everyone gets that blessing, whether it be because of work, distance, or some other circumstance. My roommate's dad died on Halloween, and her family is going through that painful first holiday season without him there. Even though this was something they knew was coming, it can't be easy trying to celebrate when that gaping hole is there, even if you're doing something as simple as scouring the neighborhood for the best display of Christmas lights or handing out the presents to scores of impatient children. I, on the other hand, know that my dad will be there when we barge into his room at 5:59 on Christmas morning, and that's better than anything that might be under the Christmas tree.

No comments:

Post a Comment