Wednesday, August 7, 2013

That pesky high school dream

I haven't been a high school student for seven years, but that hasn't stopped me from visiting Payson High School in my dreams over and over again. Last night was another frustrating sequence of trying to remember what my first class was and trying to get to choir on time so Mr. Dahlquist wouldn't give me a negative.

It's not uncommon for me to dream about something over and over again--Domino's Pizza and Harry Potter are just a few examples of that. It makes total sense to me why I would dream about those things. But I don't understand why I keep going back to high school. And each time I dream about high school I get more irritated.

So I decided to do a little bit of Googling and see what the "experts" have to say about dreams. I found three different websites that have the same but different interpretation for dreams about high school.

Website #1
To dream about high school refers to the bonds and friendships that you made while you were in high school. What spiritual lessons have you learned? The dream may also be telling you that you need to start preparing for the real world.
I can't remember when I first started dreaming about high school, but I'm prepared to bet that it was after a few semesters of college. This was about the time that I declared my major and spent a lot of time thinking about what I wanted to do with my life career wise. The last five years of my life have been dedicated to preparing for the real world, really, so that last statement makes a lot of sense to me.

Website #2
To dream of being in high school represents anxiety or concerns you have in regards to gaining power, resources, or status. How well you are being perceived by others or how well you are performing in life. You want more responsibility, status, or to feel more capable. You are trying to improve yourself in some manner.
High school points to insecurities, or anxieties about how powerful or capable you feel as a person.
Attending specific classes in a school may represent the manner in which you are thinking. For example, history classes may reflect the reexamining of your past and math classes your attempts to solve a difficult problem.
So, lots of doubt going on here.

*Sits and thinks*

Okay, this interpretation makes sense to me too. I don't consider myself an insecure person, but I am a young adult trying to find her place in the world. Which means I spend a lot of time being confused. I still don't consider myself a full-fledged adult, so maybe my repeating high school dreams reflect the anxiety I experience as I try to figure out how to be an adult. And I do want more responsibility and to feel more capable of tackling life. What I'd like to know is if other young adults dream about high school as often as I do.

As for classes, I've only ever dreamed about choir, English, math, and band. It's obvious why I dream about choir--it's the only part of high school that I actually miss sometimes. English is pretty self-explanatory as well. What fascinates me is that I dream about math, of all things. I haven't taken a math class since high school, ironically. It could be some repressed fear I have about my math skills regressing to that of an 8th grader, or it could be my subconscious's way of showing that I'm trying to solve a difficult problem. I'm going to have to start paying more attention to when I dream about math.

Website #3
High school represents a turning point in life. It is a time when one meets lifetime friends, commits silly mistakes, and shared hopes and dreams. A mixture of emotions, expectations, and memories gushes out from the thought of high school.
To dream about high school refers to lessons learned and preparations made for life.
This blog has become a mechanism for me to share life lessons. I talk about life lessons more than anything else. Maybe dreaming about high school actually means I'm progressing rather than being stuck in the past or unable to overcome old fears.

I think I feel a little better about this whole situation now. I was starting to think that my high school dreams meant that I had unresolved issues with my past or something, and that I wouldn't be able to move on until I touched base with everyone in my class or something. If nothing else, it's nice to be reminded that dreams are often symbolic, not literal.

No comments:

Post a Comment