Wednesday, March 6, 2013

My pre-30s bucket list

I've never been much of a dreamer. A planner, yes, but not a dreamer.

I am happy to report that that's starting to change. Grad school has broadened my horizon and opened up whole new worlds of opportunities and possibilities, and suddenly the 100 years of life I expect to have don't seem like nearly enough time to do all the things I want to do.

That's why I've decided to create a bucket list. Listing everything I want to do over the next 70 years is a bit overwhelming--perhaps that's why I've never done this before--so I am focusing on the things I want to do before I'm 30. The clock is ticking: only 4 1/2 years + 1 week to cross all these things off my list.

  • Create my own homemade Ranch recipe that is as good as Brick Oven or BYU Ranch. I've been working on this one for a few years and I'm starting to get mad that I haven't discovered the secret yet.
  • Give snow skiing a try. Or snowboarding.
  • Learn and master Gershwin's Rhapsody in Blue on the piano. All 27 pages of it.
  • Do at least one uncharacteristicly spontaneous thing, like skydiving or swimming with dolphins
  • Travel outside the U.S. (yes, Canada counts)
  • Visit at least two places in the U.S. I've never been to before
  • Buy a house
  • Buy a grand piano
  • Get married
  • Start a family
  • Go to Harry Potter world 
  • Become a more ambitious chef and create my own cookbook
  • Publish an essay/article in a prestigious magazine
  • Pay off student loans
  • Create my own library and/or music room
  • Get my master's degree
  • Stay physically fit, i.e., be able to play basketball or ultimate Frisbee for longer than five minutes without wheezing
  • Finish reading the entire Bible
Anything else I should add to my list?

10 comments:

  1. I have never eaten the brick oven dressing - but my brother swears their ranch is really green goddess dressing and this is the recipe he uses. http://liveatwillowcreek.com/ideal/recipes--heaps-goddess.html No idea if that's helpful.

    Can I listen to you play all 27 pages? That would be glorious.

    I love your list. And might copy some of it. Only other suggestion - do something really stupid. Like a youtube video-type stupid (though you don't have to share it with anyone). Because stupid things are forgiveable before you're thirty because you can say you were just young.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Celeste--that recipe is very different from anything I've found so far. Maybe it'll actually be good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know if you've ever been to Seattle, but you could visit us here. We're also only a couple hours from Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Actually, I've always wanted to go to Washington state. Now I have a good excuse!

    ReplyDelete
  5. She's already made youtube worthy crazy videos. You guys just haven't seen them...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have no idea what you're talking about.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah, we actually have some pretty good ones that we could probably blackmail her with. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mom, why is your name missing a letter?

    ReplyDelete