Friday, August 12, 2011

Another Friday afternoon, another blog post

Does anyone else have the I-can't-work-on-Fridays disorder? I'm pretty sure it's untreatable, because most of us who have this disorder don't want to be cured.

Instead, we throw around footballs, practice putting, or, in my case, talk to self via keyboard and computer screen.

So, be forewarned: the following paragraphs probably won't follow a logical flow, which means that it will probably only make sense to Kimberly. Er, maybe.

I have found a new pet peeve; it's been growing steadily over the years, but became official today I decided. It has to do with fry sauce. I'm not a fan of fry sauce. I'm probably the only Utah native who doesn't like fry sauce. So it really annoys me when I buy a hamburger and some french fries in a drive-through and have to ask for katsup specifically. As far as I'm concerned, katsup is still the staple condiment for french fries, but it seems that everywhere I go, fry sauce is a given and katsup is stored in the back just in case some weirdo asks for it. (Am I even spelling katsup right? I've seen it spelled c-a-t-s-u-p before, but I don't like that spelling because it makes me think of cat soup.) To make matters worse, fry sauce is always put into convenient little cups, but katsup always comes in the stupid little packages that hold about a teaspoon of katsup and that are really hard to open/apply to your french fries while driving.

I sometimes wish I had gone to beauty school, just so I could figure out the mystery that is my hair. I've always been a bit obsessed with my hair, so I've put a lot of time and investment into managing it. Since I was about 12, it's been a constant battle to control the frizz, static, uneven waviness, and oilyness. And yes, it is possible to have staticky and oily hair at the same time. I feel like the past few years I've finally found a manageable balance: between washing it every day, an ion blow dryer, an expensive flat iron, expensive shampoo/conditioner, and leave-in conditioner I spray on after every shower, I've finally been able to win the hair battle fairly consistently. So it irritates me that, whenever I get my hair trimmed/cut, the first words out of the stylist's mouth are, "Your hair is so dry! What are you doing to it?" Grrrrrr. If anyone has any ideas on how to manage oily/dry hair, I would love to hear about it.

The best thing about building up my movie collection is that most of the movies I want for myself have been out for years and years, which means I can casually browse the cheap movies whenever I go grocery shopping and take home a priceless gem once every few weeks. This month I've picked up Little Women and Anastasia so far. Anastasia is my favorite movie at the moment. My obsession with this movie is similar to that I had with Tangled. I think it has something to do with the rogue male heroes; there is just something about those good "bad" guys that makes me a little weak in the head, so to speak. In the words of Anne spelt with an e, "I wouldn't marry a wicked man, but I think I'd like it if he could be wicked, but wouldn't." Plus, the part where Dimitri runs into the wall makes me laugh. Every. Freakin'. Time. Even when I'm ornery. Even when I try so hard to hold my snicker in that it makes the resulting explosion all the more painful.

Yesterday I realized that three of my oldest and most faithful friends are getting married. First, there's Kimberly; then there's my closest cousin Jessica; and my childhood friend/roommate Danielle (who is actually still in the annoying "unofficially engaged" mode). I didn't have many friends growing up, but these three always stuck to me through the years, even though I haven't tried to make those friendships last outside of high school when I didn't need them so much any more (except Kin of course, because she's, like, my sister, and a little hard to ignore most of the time . . . ). I feel a little better about my friendship abilities when someone I haven't talked to for years calls me specifically to share good news with me personally, or who always plan me into important parts of their lives even if we haven't spoken in months.

Most of you know the aversion I have to shoes and the habit I have of wearing flip flops until the first snow storm of the season. Wearing real shoes with socks in the middle of summer heat is one of my personal brands of torture, and I've only ever managed it when I was explicitly told not to wear open-toed shoes on pain of expulsion. When I was forced to don the cursed footwear I would usually go barefoot until the last possible moment, a.k.a. the moment I stepped out of my car. Well, I finally got the dreaded email from the CEO: flip flops are never okay to wear at work, even on casual Fridays. Shorts, yes, flip flops, no. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What do professionals have against flip flops, huh? What did they do to deserve the reputation they have for not being "professional"? What I don't get is that heels are perfectly acceptable because they look hot, even though they are death traps. But I guess image is more important than safety in the workforce. I wonder how long it will take for people to forget that flip flops are banned? Until then I'll have to find another borderline flip-flop option. Maybe I'll do something else to annoy everyone, like wear a BYU shirt every day. No one tells my I can't wear flip flops without suffering the consequences.

So, do you understand now why I can't focus? I just have too many awesome things running through my mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment