Tuesday, February 1, 2011

The blech month

Despite the exciting new changes that January brought, I was quite looking forward to the month being over.

With winter dragging on, the smog and clouds refusing to go away, and no new changes in the near future, it is no wonder that January 20ish is heralded as the most depressing day of the year. At this point, we've already failed at all of our New Year's resolutions, the next real holiday isn't until May (that is, if you consider Memorial Day a real holiday), and the cold, dreary atmosphere drains all energy.

However, while I may have been excited for January to come to a close, I most definitely wasn't excited for February to come. February is quite a bit worse than January. It comes with the 3rd term/Winter semester horribleness, and we still have all of the same January problems, only now we have to throw in gross candy and nauseatingly pink-and-red store aisles. People have a bad habit of dying in February, and Valentine's Day is one of the most pointless holidays ever created.

Now I know someone out there is thinking to themselves that my February bitterness stems from not ever having a boy for Valentine's Day. Let me make something clear: MY FEBRUARY ANTAGONISM HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH BOYS. My feelings about Valentine's Day are very similar to my feelings about Halloween--it's a pointless holiday that should only be celebrated by children. Valentine's Day is outrageously overrated; I've come across too many miserable females and frantic males for this day to ever make sense for me. My philosphy is that if you want to go through some elaborate scheme to show someone that you love them, don't jump on the Valentine's bandwagon to do so. Do it on your anniversary, or, even better, when your significant other isn't expecting it.

Whew. Glad I got that off my chest.

So I guess I should issue a warning: my blog entries for the next month will probably be sarcastically pessimistic. Despite the fact that the month is only 28 days long (usually), it drags on for eternities in my mind and nothing good comes from it.

Only 27 days till March . . .

1 comment:

  1. You're right! Valentines Day and Halloween are holidays for children. I've noticed that more and more adults seem to be taking those two holidays and turning them into "adult" holidays. Sigh...
    The only people who should be allowed to get THAT into these holidays are elementary school teachers. :)

    ReplyDelete