Monday, July 19, 2010

Decisions, decisions

I think it's warped that in our society, we will make most of our most important decisions while we are young adults. What do I know about life? How am I supposed to be smart enough to choose where to go to school, who to marry, where to start a career, and where to live, all before I turn 25? How am I supposed to know when I am ready to make deeper, more spiritual commitments in my life? There are just so many unknowns up in the air right now, and while that can be exciting, it is mostly just frustrating.

But I guess there is some sense to it. We need to learn early to rely on God. When we are children, we rely on our parents, but once high school graduation hits, that relationship isn't as protective as it used to be. Suddenly, God is a much bigger part of the picture because while we may feel ready to conquer the world, we really have no idea what we are doing. There are so many decisions we have to make that no one else can make for us, but at least God knows everything—he can help us out a bit. The hard part is trusting that he will help us out, maybe even point the way every now and then.

So we young adults may feel like we are blundering through every decision we make, but even with our lack of knowledge and understanding about the world, there is a purpose for all the confusion: God wants to be a part of our lives. Maybe some day I'll be granted a tiny bit of his knowledge, but until then, I guess I had better be content riding a bike with the training wheels still attached. At least I know that they'll keep me from falling.

No comments:

Post a Comment