Tuesday, November 14, 2017

Thanksgiving moments: Week 2

Nov. 8: I had three social things lined up for the day, and I actually did them all. It's not often that I can say that. Highlights include playing a Scrabble game with word nerds, golfing with those word nerds, and feeling accomplished when I came home from the ward thing I didn't want to go to.

Nov. 9: As an editor, I spend a lot of time in Microsoft Word. When I got a new work computer over a year ago, I noticed Word was considerably slower than it was on my old computer. Any time I clicked back into Word after using a different application it froze. The problem never went away and I didn't know what to do about it, so I just dealt with it. I got used to waiting for the spinning rainbow to disappear every time I entered Word. I tried to do my link- and fact-checking all at once so I wouldn't have to click in and out of Word more than was absolutely necessary. I got in the habit of scrolling down before clicking out of Word so I would have something to review when I came back while Word sluggishly unfroze itself. I dreaded getting multiple files at once because I knew it would take 5 minutes just to save them to my desktop.

Frustrating, right? It's been slowly driving me insane. On busy days, watching that cursed spinning rainbow is enough to push me over the edge. FINALLY, earlier this week, after a long search through my computer that I'm certain I won't be able to duplicate, I found some old updates that were never installed. So I installed them, and HALLELUJAH WORD IS WORKING PERFECTLY NOW. You have no idea how amazing it is to be able to enter a Word doc without being punished. Sometimes I click in and out of them just for fun.

Nov. 10: Scattergories has an app. I may never get any work done again. (And I'm still going to beg my family to play this game with me on a regular basis.)

Nov. 11: My temple attendance has dropped since the Jordan River Temple closed over a year ago. Every other temple in the valley is overcrowded all the time as a result, which makes going to the temple much more of a hassle than it used to be. (I know, I know; #UtahProblems.) But I went today, and it was a lovely, faith-promoting experience.

Nov. 12: I think I may have made a friend or two at church today. (Always hard to tell for sure, when you're me.)

Nov. 13: Another thing I like about daylight savings in the fall is watching the sun set on my drive home. The sky looked incredible tonight.

Nov. 14: OATHBRINGER CAME OUT TODAY! I picked up my copy during lunch and read the first 40 pages or so—I almost didn't make it back to work. The wait for this book has been killing me, and I cannot wait to dig into that 1,248-page monstrosity. Brandon Sanderson, thank you for making me so excited about your books.

If you don't care about outstanding fantasy books, here's something one of my coworkers said today: "Please don't die behind me. I'm very sensitive to corpses."

No comments:

Post a Comment