Friday, September 11, 2015

Enchanted pages

I started reading this book last night that I think I'm going to love. This passage at the beginning really struck a chord with me:
Once, in my father's bookshop, I heard a regular customer say that few things leave a deeper mark on a reader than the first book that finds its way into his heart. Those first images, the echo of words we think we have left behind, accompany us throughout our lives and sculpt a place in our memory to which, sooner or later—no matter how many books we read, how many worlds we discover, or how much we learn or forget—we will return. (The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon, pg. 8)
The first book that popped to my mind when I read this was, of course, Harry Potter. I was 12 when I read Sorcerer's Stone for the first time, relatively young in my reading life. Would I love the books as much as I do if I hadn't been a part of the lucky Harry Potter generation? Probably not.

But there are other books that I read early in life that have stayed close to my heart. (If you've seen my Favorites shelf on Goodreads, you probably noticed that a lot of them are young adult/middle grade.)

I have my 5th grade teacher, Mr. Applegate, to thank for introducing me to some of my favorite books. There's Ella Enchanted, still the best fairy-tale retelling I have ever read (and I've read a lot). There's The Giver, one of the first books that portrayed the world I lived in in grays, rather than black and white. And there's also A Return to Christmas, a cheesy, predictable Christmas story that always makes the Christmas season feel more complete.

I've read all of these books more than once, and they all still evoke that magical, childlike wonder. I add a few books to my Favorites shelf every year, but the ones I fell in love with in elementary school/middle school get a special spot on that shelf. They're the ones I go back to the most.

2 comments:

  1. I love your label for this post.

    And I have most of the same favorite books as you. Ella Enchanted completely stole my heart. But them I think of Boxcar Children, Little Women, Little House on the Prairie...

    And my very all-time favorite author, L.M.Montgomery. It took some finding to get to her out-of-print books, but from Anne of Green Gables to her short tales, I've read every book she's ever written, and I actually think many were way better than Anne.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Little Women and Anne of Green Gables, but I didn't feel that way until I was older, oddly enough. And one of these days I'm going to track down some non-Anne books.

    ReplyDelete