Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Gratefuls: Nov 8–13

Nov 8: BYU choirs. I like having a sister in one of the choirs because otherwise I probably wouldn't go to any of the concerts. The Women's Chorus always sounds like a choir of angels and the Men's Chorus--ah, the men. Just picture them singing songs from The Jungle Book. The possibilies are endless: Drums. Dancing. Jumping off the risers. Animal sounds. Grass skirts.

Nov 9: Gloomy winter weather and "handsome" snow. Even in the city it looks like a winter wonderland.

Nov 10: My fireplace. It took two hours to rearrange my living room to my liking without anything blocking blocking the fire and I have to add matches to the list of things I have no idea where to find in a grocery store, but it was worth it.

Nov 11: I finally finished The Casual Vacancy. I hated that book about as much as I love the Harry Potter books.

Nov 12: Heat. The heater and back-up generator in my work building broke, so it wasn't unusual to see someone bundled up in coat, scarf, and gloves not to go grab lunch, but to go to the bathroom. When I finally got home I was greeted with the beautiful sound of my furnace working its magic. I then threw a log in the fireplace and sat in front of it for two hours, unthawing. It was positively delightful.

Bad photography aside, does this not look very much like a Harry-Potter-esque place to study? I just need a squashy armchair instead of a mushroom chair. And Hermione to "help" me with my papers.
Nov 13: Leigh Butler's Wheel of Time Reread. It's the highlight of my Tuesdays. Every time I hit the "Refresh" button and a new post appears, I smile, sit up a little straighter, and wait impatiently until lunchtime. Sadly, she's almost done with Towers of Midnight, so soon I won't have any WoT goodness to distract me until the last book comes out.

5 comments:

  1. I'm glad I'm not the only one who didn't like The Casual Vacancy. Well, actually I didn't even finish it because it was due back at the library before I could even make it through 100 pages... I'll finish it someday...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm still not really sure why I bothered to finish it--normally if I dislike a book that much I figure life's too short to spend it reading something that provides no value. I wouldn't put finishing the book high on your priority list if I were you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The mental image of people dressed up in coats and gloves to go to the bathroom made me laugh.

    Also - I am beyond totally jealous of your fireplace.

    What was wrong with The Casual Vacancy?

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Celeste: You can see my full review by clicking on the book on my little Goodreads widget to the right, but basically I didn't like any of the characters, the book has no plot (I thought it would be a murder mystery but it isn't), there is a ton of profanity, lots of "adult" scenes, and overall it was just really bleak. Not really my thing.

    ReplyDelete