Sunday, May 20, 2012

Now I know how the bugs feel

I, like many of you, marvel at the predictable stupidity of bugs. On boring camping trips, I sometimes entertain myself by watching the dumb little bugs run into the lantern over and over again, bemused that they are so inextricably drawn to the pretty light.

I found myself sympathizing with the dumb little bugs somewhat as I drove around tonight trying to find a patch of sky that wasn't covered with clouds. Because doggone it, if I can't watch The Watcher in the Woods, I was going to do everything in my power to get a glimpse of my first eclipse.

Luckily for me, a hole in the clouds appeared as I was heading west, back to my apartment. Suddenly, the warnings from the guys selling the cheap protective glasses receded to a dull static as I looked directly into the sun (through my sunglasses, of course). The only thought running through my head was, "I can't help it . . . it's so beautiful . . . ."

And that's why I was half-blind the rest of the (short) drive home. And it's the reason I'm seeing crescent moons all over the place.

But hey, you only get the chance to be as dumb as a bug once every twenty years or so. I wasn't about to pass up the opportunity.

No comments:

Post a Comment