Friday, February 25, 2011

The confusing land called Friday

Friday is heralded by most people as the best day of the week; we sing ballads, write poems, and dedicate holidays to them. I know I say "Why can't it be Friday?" at least twelve times a week. But Fridays aren't always what we dream them to be. Sometimes, Fridays really suck. And, on the other hand, sometimes Fridays are extremely awesome. I never know when I'm going to have the Friday I've been longing for all week until I wake up early Friday morning. The manner of my waking up usually determines the course of my day.

For me, Fridays usually go in one of two directions:

Wake up cursing the world. When I wake up just as tired as I was when I went to bed, I know I'm in for a rough day. I wake up tired on other days of the week all the time, but for some reason, I hate the world a lot more on Friday mornings. I won't be as particular about my getting-ready routine, I will be too ornery to sing along with my music as I drive to work, and I'll probably glare at my computer screen for 8 hours once I get to the office. I despise anyone who has the audacity to smile, and forcing myself to be productive is a bit like walking the slopes of Mount Doom with a 9-ton ring hanging from my neck. By the time 5:00 FINALLY rolls around, the only thing keeping me going is the thought of putting my pajamas on, watching a major chick flick, and eating junk food when I get home.

Needless to say, I'm not a very fun person when I wake up cursing the world on Fridays. (Unless, of course, my intense orneryness gives way to an emotional breakdown in the form of uncontrollable laughter.) However, option two is a lot more desirable for all who cross my path:

Wake up laughing. I am not a morning person at all, so it is rare for me to actually hop out of bed and acknowledge people while I'm getting ready for my day. But sometimes, Fridays bestow upon me renewed energy and hyperness, making the day so much more entertaining. I might actually contribute to the high-spirited chatter at work, I smile rather than glare at my computer screen, and the energy lasts long enough to get me through legitimate Friday night plans. I'll take a real lunch break that involves actually leaving the office, which will leave me full and content, if a bit distracted, for the rest of the day. Of course, it still takes 5:00 forever to roll around, and I am perhaps even less productive on happy Fridays than I am on mad Fridays because I'm too carefree to take my responsibilities seriously. (Says the person writing an unimportant blog post while she is supposed to be working.)

No matter my mood, however, Fridays are doomed to be long and unproductive. I guess I should stop trying to fight it.

No comments:

Post a Comment